Saturday 18 May 2013

The Cars picture disc singles

The Cars - My Best Friend's Girl b/w Moving In Stereo
1978, Elektra Records, K 12301
As above - removed from PVC sleeve - notice the discolouration
to the parts of the record which were exposed to the light
As above - the B-side of the record and a rather uninspired image, basically an oversized record label
The Cars - Just What I Needed b/w I'm In Touch With Your World
1979, Elektra Records, K 12312
The Cars - Let's Go b/w That's It
1979, Elektra Records, K 12371 P
The Cars - Double Life b/w Got A Lot On My Head
1979, Elektra Records, K 12385(P)
The Cars - Shake It Up b/w Cruiser
1982, Elektra Records, K12583P (1st version)
The Cars - Shake It Up b/w Cruiser
1982, Elektra Records, K12583P (2nd version)
My first ever picture disc record purchase was "Just What I Needed" by The Cars (the blue one), purchased in 1979. A friend at school talked me into buying his copy of their first single, "My Best Friend's Girl" which was also on a picture disc featuring the same design in a different colour scheme. The way he explained it to me was that they'd be more valuable as a pair. Of course, after that I had to buy subsequent Cars picture disc singles as they became available, just to complete the set.

The final two picture discs - those featuring the orange and pink cars - are actually the same single released in 1982. For some reason Elektra records had decided to release it in two colour versions. Probably so people like me who'd been trying to collect them all would have to buy two copies of the same record. The content of the records - and the catalogue number - are identical.

The whole set of 7" Cars picture discs ... I think...
I always quite liked the simplicity of the design. It was quite clever how a letter "A" was incorporated into the car's design to denote the A-side of the record, and also that the exhaust output was the record's centre hole. However, I always thought they copped-out on the flip-side of the disc as it could have had another image but Elektra Records just opted for a giant label on the b-side of each record in the series. One thing I've only just tonight noticed is that the sides of each record are referred to not as A-side/B-side or Side 1/Side 2 but as the "off side" and "near side" - a motoring metaphor that I'd not picked up on before.

However, to get finally to the reason I've compiled this blog post, what I'd like to know is: Do I have a complete set of these Cars picture disc singles or were there other releases also featuring this design?

The Cars - Since You're Gone b/w Best Friend's Girl / Let's Go - 12" single
1982, Elektra Records, K 13177PT (side A)
The Cars - Since You're Gone b/w Best Friend's Girl / Let's Go - 12" single
1982, Elektra Records, K 13177PT (side B)
I do also have a 12" picture disc single by The Cars, "Since You're Gone" backed with previous singles "Best Friend's Girl" and "Let's Go", but this release departs from the car design as seen on the 7" singles.

Note that the first single, "My Best Friend's Girl" has suffered from some discolouration over the years, and that the PVC sleeves haven't always survived too well.

If anyone has any further info, please leave a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There.
    I too have the full collection you show here and yes you do have all the 7" picture discs. My BFG has also dicouloured as yours has - the others are all just as new. I love the design and was obsessed with collecting these all those years ago. I dont know if you are aware but Let's go and Double life were pretty rare. Double life was limited to 1000 pressings - Let's go was produced in bigger quantities but still was pretty rare. The 12" of since you're gone was the only 12" as Im aware but there is one more.....I have a car shaped picture disc of tonight she comes a previously unreleased track that was on the greatest hits album and the car design was (disapointingly) like the cars on the cover of the greatest hits rather then the original single car artwork.
    Not picture discs but I also collected solo albums of the band members. Most know of Ric Ocaseks albums though the first is very hard to come by fetching many hundreds of pounds when it appears. Greg Hawkes, Ben Orr Eliot Easton and David Robinson all had solos. Some better than others :) - but to be honest there are good tracks on them all esp Greg and Bens albums.
    Keep collecting!
    Rob
    www.stanwax.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this, chaps, even 6 years after posted!

    ReplyDelete