Monday 13 May 2013

Wind - Sleep 10" EP

2012, Jansen plateproducksjon, JANSEN 020

A: Throwing Stones
B: Cathedral

I took a chance on this record after having read a review by Julian Cope on his website in November 2012. I love reading Cope's reviews, if I can understand them with his various obscure references, although on a few occasions I have searched online for music he has reviewed and found it to be, quite frankly, unlistenable. But I was intrigued enough by his review of this record by Norwegian trio Wind to track down a copy, which I ended up ordering online from Shiny Beast. It was a little costly, but when I received the record and was first able to listen to it properly on 10" white vinyl (record label Jansen plateproduksjon seem to favour white vinyl for some reason) I decided it was such a good record that it was worth the price.

The EP contains just two pieces - one extended track on each side - having a total playing time of around 20 minutes (which is why I am referring to it as an EP rather than a single). The songs are two slices of melancholy psychedelia, perhaps mixed in with a dose of ambience. These are very atmospheric recordings, at times it seems hard to believe it's just three guys creating this gorgeous blanket of sounds with a standard set of instruments: drums, bass, guitar and synth. The music is never over-stated or in your face, rather it is mesmerizing and sensitive.

Without wanting to sound patronising, I was quite surprised to find out how young these guys are (check out their photo here to see what I mean) because their music is so mature and thoughtful.

The cover, by the way, features a photograph of one of Dutch artist Theo Jansen's incredible wind machines, or Strandbeests, as he calls them.

No comments:

Post a Comment